When I saw the donation of the little rocking horse I was so excited, especially as I knew we had a carousel teapot in store. I have always really wanted to do a merry-go-round window but never felt as though it would be possible or appropriate for this shop.
Using the rocking horse as the starting block for the window I based the colours around it. I had a few cardboard hobby horse heads and decided to use one of these to make it appear as though one of the mannequins could pretend to ride it. I made the base for the carousel out of the heart from the previous week, rearranging it until it was a desired shape and size. I covered it with a different colour to the base of the window and then pinned some tassles around it to give it some depth. A carousel need a pole in the middle which I thought would be difficult to find a solution to but I used one of the cardboard tubes that rolls of fabric come in on, painted it orange and then wrapped a yellow ribbon around it to make it candystripe.
To fill the rest of the space of the window I made it look as though there where the stalls you often see at a fair around the sides-games, food and drink. For the food I used knitting needles with light pink mohair wool on to give the appearance of cotton wool and scarfs wound up in bowls to appear as ice-cream.
I tried to make the appearance of a circus tent for the overall window. By using striped cloth for the background and then thin strips to try and make it appear draped, framing the whole window.